Friday, March 23, 2012

Relationships on campus

On a campus of only 1400 students, it may seem like you know just about everyone and all their business, which may be true, but at the same time, I find myself meeting new people all the time. Everyone has a different story and background that add to the diverse flavors of the Kalamazoo College community. We make lifelong friends within days of meeting each other and some special friendships can flourish into lasting relationships.

As first-years, I found myself hanging out with the people in my First-Year seminar or with my roommate, but then all of those people meshed and some left our groups to join others, but we also brought in others. My friend group right now is a wonderful mix of Michiganders, people from out of state, people from all sorts of socioeconomic statuses, and different academic/co-curricular interests. We all bring something to the table and never get bored talking about the same classes or same student organizations that we are in, because we are all doing so many different things. I am currently dating a guy who was in my freshman seminar and who has been in our friend group for the past two years. We are total opposites when it comes to academic interests (he’s sciencey and I’m not…), but we always have interesting takes on life, the goings on of our friends, and the workings of Kalamazoo College.



Here at K, it seems like everyone can find someone to love and you would be hard-pressed not to find someone who does not share similar views or interests as you. Going to meetings, taking classes together, and avoiding cliques like those that form through sports or just one student organization make it so easy to meet and mingle with new people.

So what happens when you meet someone who is more than a friend? Since this is college, relationships and the choices we make regarding them help us to grow into mature, young adults. My boyfriend and I get to choose when we hang out, how much time we allocate to spending together, if we are going to eat meals together or with others, etc. On top of everything else that comes with being in a relationship, we balance our rigorous studies, jobs, and co-curricular activities. I never thought I would be able to do it, but here I am, eating my own words.

Kalamazoo College is very supportive of healthy relationships both on campus and those that extend off campus, like long-distance relationships or relationships while on study abroad. A variety of resources are available to students regarding making good decisions with their partners. The Sexual Health Awareness Group (SHAG), Counseling and Health Centers, the Sexual Safety and Support Alliance, Kaleidoscope (our LGBTQA group), and the Peer Health Advocates are all groups and resources available to students.

Kalamazoo College is well known for being open and accepting of relationships of all orientations. Our campus is a safe environment for those within the LGBTQA community and we pride ourselves supporting a healthy lifestyle for all students. College is stressful enough without having to worry about expressing or not expressing your sexual orientation. I hear all the time how our campus is a “comfortable” place for expressing any type of sexuality; straight or gay, public or private.

Best,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment