Friday, March 23, 2012

Michigan throws a march blizzard

I had planned to bring you more information, stories, anecdotes, what-have-you about the exciting transition process as an “off-campus” junior living in Kalamazoo and waiting for spring quarter to begin. I went to Kalamazoo a few weeks after returning home and found an apartment with one of my best friends. We went to my favorite Indian restaurant that I’d been craving the whole time I was abroad, and we saw my favorite comedian live at the State Theatre downtown. It was fun to finally be at this stage in our K careers as I’ve always looked forward to finding my own place and I know I have great housemates. We planned to move in two weeks after signing our lease.



Then I got caught in northern Michigan’s epic March blizzard. We got nearly two feet of snow overnight and the power stayed out for four days. We had to dig paths through the heavy snow to get to my furniture and traipsed through the freezing wonderland to pack all my furniture and necessities… and then I came down with mono. This spring hasn’t been shaping up the way I’d envisioned since before study abroad! Fortunately, the timing is just right. I wasn’t thrilled about the gap of time between study abroad and heading back to campus and starting classes, but it turned out for the best, I suppose. I have had just enough time to feel like myself again and I still have five more days to recover while everyone else is on spring break. Last year we got a group together and went skiing in Utah – I probably couldn’t handle that this spring! Instead I’ve been lounging and looking forward to classes, ordering textbooks, and trying to remember what it was like to attend “real” classes.

Next weekend I’ll get a chance to finally, finally, finally move into my very own first apartment. Did I mention that my housemate has been waiting all month for a couch and a kitchen table? Whoops. Apart from just setting up our place and seeing everyone, I can’t wait to be in Kalamazoo in general. The Mall is beautiful in the nice weather, and I just found the Kal-Haven trail last spring, which is actually quite close to campus. Hopefully the after effects of mono won’t linger too long so I can bike! It will be nice to study on a blanket on the quad and meet all the first years. I’ll feel like the new kid, which is odd to think about, but I’m ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment