Thursday, July 12, 2012

Not so landlocked


Michigan summers have a way of being wildly unpredictable. I guess this is a trend of Michigan weather in general, but it is weird when one week you have low temperatures in the 40’s and within a few days there are three straight days that are humid with highs in the 90’s. I’ve grown up with this type of weather, being from the area, but it even manages to surprise me at times. 

 The great thing that we can do to beat the summer heat, though, is a day at the beach. Especially around the Kalamazoo area, we have so many options to go swimming and cool off when the sun just gets too hot for us. Not only is the area littered with numerous lakes that often have people skiing, tubing, fishing, and swimming in them, but we have Lake Michigan. 

This past weekend, with the weather heating up, a group of friends and I decided to beat the heat with a beach trip to Lake Michigan. We loaded up the cars and drove out to South Haven to hang out, swim, and get our tan on. For those of you that haven’t been lucky enough to visit one of the great lakes, for me, they are basically like one of the oceans, except with water you could feasibly drink. The beaches on them are excellent and on hot days are regularly packed with beachgoers. My friends and I spent the afternoon throwing a Frisbee on the beach and seeing how long we could brave the chilly water of the lake. After we had spent our time at the beach, we made a trip out to South Haven’s best ice cream shop, Sherman’s. It is a trip that, in my opinion, anyone who goes to South Haven should take. It is some of the best ice cream I have ever had. 

The day ended with us hanging out for another hour or so, then loading up the cars and returning to our homes. It was a very fun day, and a great way to relax on a hot summer weekend. I count myself lucky to be able to enjoy a warm summer’s day at a great beach or maybe going to a local lake for fun. Southwest Michigan is in a great place, and I am very happy that this is where I grew up and where I get to go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment