Thursday, June 21, 2012

Transitionary times


Summer is finally here. After the 22 weeks of winter and spring quarter with only spring break in between, I am extremely ready for the summer and its distinct lack of classes. But before my summer fully began I had to do one more thing, attend graduation to see off all of the seniors who I have grown accustomed to seeing here on campus, and who, in some cases, I have become close friends with. 

 Here at K we are lucky enough to have a beautiful open space in the middle of our campus, the quad, on which our outdoor graduation can be held. Luckily for everyone who decided to come and support the graduating seniors, the stage was strategically placed so that a good portion of the seating was in the shade of the numerous trees on the quad. Not only did they have 3,000 chairs set up to accommodate attendees, but many people brought their own lawn chairs or even just sat down in the grass on the hill. The number of people who came was impressive. I was lucky enough to have been there early in the day, before most people got there, so that I could see the streams of people arriving to support the seniors. Everyone from parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and many a friend was there. That is truly a great thing about K. I have several friends who go to larger schools and in most cases only a few family members are able to attend the graduation ceremony. K is small enough that anyone, any everyone, can come and show their support.

However, the ceremony also brought out a sadder side of me. In talking to my friends who were graduating, each and every one of them told me that they wished they had more time here at K. And I understood where they were coming from. I just finished my sophomore year and I feel like I just got here. To everyone, our time here at K is fleeting, and just as quickly as it comes, it goes. This led me to the conclusion that, even though my time is going by quickly, I can still make the most of everything that K is. It is a great environment to have educated discussions, someplace where you are regularly challenged to learn more and set you goals higher, a place where you can join any and all organizations just to discover what you are truly passionate about, and last, but certainly not least, a place where you can make life-long connections with people who really are great. These few examples, and many more, are the very things that make K the place I love and should never be taken for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment